Your home is probably the most expensive possession and investment in life. Therefore, it makes sense that you want to protect it. The best way to do it to get home insurance. Homeowners in the state of Ohio are required to purchase home insurance for at least the amount of the mortgage. If you have never got home insurance before, it may be difficult for you to pick the right one. Especially when there are so many misconceptions about it. Stanley Insurance Group serving Hilliard, OH has prepared a list of common myths about home insurance that you should know about:
It Is Not Necessary To Have An Inventory List
It is extremely important to create a list of all your personal stuff. It is proof of ownership of all items and personal belongings you keep in the house.
Flood Damage is Covered By Standard Home Insurance
Unfortunately, the truth is that home insurance does not provide coverage of the damages if they were caused by floods. Therefore, if your property is located in a flood-prone area, you should consider purchasing an additional policy – flood insurance.
Standard Home Insurance Covers All Personal Belongings Regardless of Their Cost
Standard home insurance does have its limits. This means that there is limited coverage and not all personal belongings may be covered. Therefore, for those who own expensive stuff, such as pieces of art or jewelry, it is recommended to get additional coverage.
Home insurance is required by the state of Ohio. Therefore, if you are thinking of buying a residence in the Buckeye state, getting a home insurance policy is one of your priorities. It will protect not only your house itself but all the belongings and even you as the owner. If you are thinking of purchasing a house in Hilliard, OH, or any other surrounding area and you need home insurance, do not hesitate to contact Stanley Insurance Group. We will be more than happy to answer all your questions and help you get a perfect policy.
Purchasing a home insurance policy is an essential step in buying a home. We sell home insurance policies to homeowners in Hilliard, OH at Stanley Insurance Group.
The following are three things you should do before you purchase home insurance for your Ohio home.
Discuss home insurance requirements with your mortgage lender
Mortgage lenders require that their borrowers purchase home insurance for properties they use mortgage funds to buy. They therefore may have some specific insurance requirements that they expect their borrowers to meet.
It’s always a good idea to discuss home insurance needs with your mortgage lender before you purchase a policy. This way, you can make sure that the policy you purchase meets any requirements that are necessary for securing your mortgage loan.
Make any possible home improvements that could bring down home insurance costs
The safer a home is, the less its home insurance costs will be. You might be able to bring down your home insurance premiums with a few simple home repairs.
Discuss home repair options with your home insurance company. A representative from your insurance company can come and inspect your home to look for any possible improvements you can make. This is a great way to save money while also enjoying a home that’s safer.
Get several quotes on home insurance policies
Don’t purchase home insurance before you’ve thoroughly explored your options by getting numerous quotes. When you get multiple quotes from different providers, you can compare them and choose the most cost-effective option.
At Stanley Insurance Group, we’re happy to answer all the questions you have about home insurance in Hilliard, OH. Get in touch with us via phone or our website to learn more.
Freezing Temperatures and your Home Insurance
Freezing temperatures in Columbus, OH can be rough on a house. There are certain things you want to do to protect yourself and prevent having to file a home insurance claim with Stanley Insurance Group.
- Protect Pipes: Water will expand as it freezes, which is dangerous for pipes in Columbus, OH. Be sure to drain water from outdoor faucets and disconnect any outdoor hoses. Protect pipes that go through unheated areas of the home with insulation.
- Keep the Garage Closed: This is important if your garage is attached to the home. It can keep cold air out of the home and protect any plumbing that is in the garage, as well as the hot water heater.
- Check the Heat: Be sure to regularly change out your furnace filter to keep your heat running efficiently. Filters will get dirty quicker if you have pets, and a dirty filter will be less efficient and could be dangerous.
- Prevent Ice Dams: Clogged gutters are the number one cause of ice dams, so be sure to keep them clean. Preventing ice dams will help make sure that when the snow later melts, it doesn’t leak through your roof or cause water damage. Install a snow and ice slide to prevent snow and ice from bonding to the roof. Add additional insulation to your attic floor and seal places that may allow warm air to leak from the home to the attic.
- Inspect the Fireplace: A fireplace is a great way to warm up the home during freezing temperatures, but the fireplace needs to be clean, otherwise, soot and debris can catch on fire.
- Stock Up on Cold Weather Essentials: Freezing temps can sometimes create power outages, so be prepared with generators if necessary. Be sure to remove ice by shoveling or using sand and ice melt to prevent anyone from slipping in your driveway and getting injured.
Contact Stanley Insurance Group to get a quote on home insurance.